Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Bama 45 TCU 0, 10/25/75, My First Bama Game

On October 25th, 1975, my Dad took me to see my first Alabama game in person. Paul "Bear" Bryant and his Alabama Crimson Tide were facing the Texas Christian University (TCU) Horned Frogs in Birmingham's Legion Field. I was ten years old and I have some special memories of that game.

As we approached Legion field I was amazed at the number of people milling around outside the stadium. Once we entered the stadium and looked through the portal at the field and stands my eyes almost popped out of my head with the brilliant crisp colors of green grass in the middle of a sea of crimson and white clad fans. It was so amazing to see how clear everything looked. It was like putting glasses on for the first time. I guess I was used to only seeing the games on a fuzzy television.

We had seats on the fifty yard line near the top of the stadium if I remember correctly. Halftime was also special because of a special program to honor former TCU player Kent Waldrep. Waldrep sustained a severe spinal cord injury on October 26, 1974 against Alabama. It was not a dirty play, but Waldrep was confined to a wheelchair the rest of his life. He received a great deal of support from the Alabama family, especially head coach Bear Bryant. Needless to say, Alabama won the game 45-0.

Here is a link to an article from the NCAA in 1975

Here is a link to an article from a website about Waldrep's book

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home